Maintenance Tips For Hair Braids
Everyday Braid Maintenance
- Condition your scalp with a light all natural oil 2-3 times a week.
- Use conditioning braid spray with anti-itch formulation on your braids daily to keep your scalp happy and the hair underneath the braids healthy.
- If you sweat a lot in your scalp, take a cotton swab and some Sea Breeze astringent and run it along your scalp to keep itch causing residue away.
- Use a light oil sheen spray on your braids to refresh them and add a healthy glow.
Night Time Braid Maintenance
The way you take care of your braids before you go to bed makes the difference between them looking perfect and being a fuzzy mess.
- Wear a silk or satin scarf every night to keep your braids frizz free and smooth.
- Sleep on a silk or satin pillowcase in case the scarf falls off.
General Braid Care Tips
- Make sure your braider doesn't put your braids in tightly. It doesn't make them last any longer and it pulls your hair out.
- Don't ever leave your braids in for more than 12 weeks. Every 6-8 weeks is the best time to take them out and have them re-done.
- Wash your braids once every 1-2 weeks with diluted shampoo. Focus on your scalp, letting the suds travel down to the ends of the braids.
- Don't use creamy conditioners with braids. They cause build up in the hair that makes knots form at the base of the braids.
- After you shampoo and apply leave-in conditioner, make sure your braids dry completely. This prevents damage to your hair from mildew.
- If the braids around your edges get loose, take them out and re-do them. Loose braids weaken your hairline and cause it to fade.
- Always deep condition your hair between braiding. If you don't the end results will be damage, breakage and thinning.
Are you looking for some braid hairstyles?
Let Braidiology™ Take Care Of All Your Braid Needs